What are healthy drinks to offer children?
Water and milk are healthy drinks. Drinks help children get the fluids they need to keep their bodies working well.
Children 2 to 3 years of age need 900 mL (4 cups) of fluid each day. Children 4 to 8 years of age need 1200 mL (5 cups) of fluid each day. Some of this fluid comes from foods like vegetables and fruit.
Teach children to drink water to quench their thirst and meet fluid needs.
- Offer small amounts of water in an open cup around 6 months of age.
- Have water available throughout the day.
- Offer only water between meals and snacks.
Milk is a good source of vitamin D and calcium. Milk helps children build strong bones.
- Offer milk with meals, served in an open cup.
- Offer milk or water with snacks.
- Serve milk in 125 mL (1/2 cup) portions.
Healthy Drinks, Healthy Kids handout (page 1)