Have you heard about the new Canada’s Food Guide?
The new Canada’s Food Guide focuses on healthy eating in healthy environments for Canadians 2 years of age and older. Much of the messaging in the document aligns with the established CHEERS best practice recommendations.
The key messages in the new Canada’s Food Guide are:
- Eat a variety of healthy foods each day
- Have plenty of vegetables and fruits
- Eat protein foods
- Choose whole grain foods
- Make water your drink of choice
It also encourages Canadians to:
- Be mindful of their eating habits
- Cook more often
- Enjoy their food
- Eat meals with others
Overall, healthy eating messages haven’t changed; however the way messages are presented has changed.
The new Canada’s Food Guide:
- no longer has food groups
- presents healthy food choices: vegetables and fruits, whole grain foods and protein foods
- focuses on proportions of nutritious foods using the Eat Well Plate rather than number of servings
- combines the former Milk and Alternatives and Meat and Alternatives as protein foods
- encourages choosing plant-based proteins more often
- encourages replacing saturated fat with foods that contain mostly unsaturated fat, rather than placing a limit on total fats
- places more emphasis on how you eat, not just what you eat
For more information visit:
Health Canada, Canada’s Food Guide, 2019